JHWHN.INFO
Archaeology
BACK BACK
PAPYRUS NASH 2th or 1th century B.C.
The   Papyrus   Nash   consists   of   4   fragments   with   24   lines   of   Hebrew   text.   It   measures   7,5   cm   wide   by   12,5   cm   high.   It   is   now preserved   at   the   University   of   Cambridge   and   is   named   after   W.   L.   Nash,   secretary   of   the   'Society   of   Biblical   Archaeology', who    bought    it    in    1902    from    a    Egyptian    trader.    The    papyrus    was    published    in    1907    by    S.    A.    Cooke    in    the    magazine ‘Proceedings’ from the same society. Upon   examination   we   learn   that   all   24   lines   are   incomplete.   They   all   lack   a   character   or   a   word   at   the   beginning   and   the   end. The   text   contains   parts   of   the   Ten   Commandments   (Exodus   chapter   20)   and   some   verses   from   Deuteronomy   chapter   5   and 6.   The   fact   that   the   text   was   written   as   one   part   proves   that   is   was   not   a   copy.   It   must   have   been   a   collection   of   duties   that   a jew had before his God. The papyrus is dated second or first century B.C., which makes the document very valuable. The   Tetragrammaton   is   written   8   times   in   the   text   -   one   time   it   is   incomplete   (the   first   consonant   is   missing).   On   the   last   line the Divine Name is written twice.
Facsimile made by B. Bonte